Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tuesday - May 3: National Taiwan Normal University (NTSU) and Asus presentation




















National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) is a an elite institution of higher education that embraces cultural diversity. The Mandarin Training Center has students from over 60 countries. We took part in a business class and discussed the distinguishing feature of Intel sand whether companies should or could distinguish features.


The classroom lecture style and assignment and discussion of case studies were similar to U.S. style. The students appeared nervous when speaking in English and hesitated to answer the questions posed by the professor. On the other hand, maybe it was that most students hesitate to participate in class discussion, wherever you are.

Pat and Veronica (Chien-Hui)

I spoke with several students and Veronica who works for NTNU Business School. Veronica was curious about the programs at UM-Flint and my family. I told her I had a daughter and granddaughter and she seemed shocked because in Taiwan it seems like people wait to marry. Veronica said she considered taking classes, but since the program is only 2 years old she spends many hours working.


We had a buffet style lunch with fabulous deserts. I took my plate out looking for the trash and noticed every tray was empty - I guess college students wherever they are love a FREE lunch! Someone said there was no need to take care of my trash, they would do that for me. Since they are very concerned with the environment and sorting trash here is done by a system. It is nothing short of an art form. Perhaps they did not trust Americans to follow the rules properly - and that would probably be justified.

We then went across the street to their auditorium to hear a speaker from Asus computers. When asked if anyone has heard of Asus (pronounced EH-Sus) I thought I had not. The Asus target market is business professional and they sell notebooks and motherboards.



When they showed the Eee notebook I realized I actually had heard of them, as one of my classmates has brought one to Residency. So even though I did not recognize the company name, they have brand recognition for their Eee notebook in the U.S. because of the logo.




Also visit:   http://www.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnu-eng.html

No comments:

Post a Comment